We always hear the term –“performance appraisal” or “self-appraisal” at least once a year…or may be twice a year.One always relates this term to something that follows…i.e. the Increment or salary hike. JSo, the appraisal is very important from any employee’s view point.
First he has to do a self-appraisal and then he will have a discussion on his ratings and those given to him by his immediate boss. And then depending on his overall ratings, he will fall into some bracket and get the hike in his salary according to the parameter (percentage) allocated to that particular bracket. And yes…Now he is HAPPY J….at least till the next few days….Why I am saying few days because one is never (most of the times) satisfied with his/her salary. All this is fine…I mean this is something that we do in order to complete the appraisal process,get a decent hike etc…..But let me ask you one thing – how many times do you sit alone and do a Self appraisal. (Not the one that is done in your company)….something on your own….Your private Self-Appraisal or a Self-Review what I will call it.
How many times do we really think of the following things?
- Am I satisfied with the way things are going in my life?
- What are the things I still have to achieve?
- What is my next Goal?
- What preparation should I do to achieve this Goal?
- Do I have a clear and precise plan for it?
- Do I have an idea about what will be long term plans…say 5 yrs down the line…or may be 10…
- Am I stuck into this current work that I don’t get time to think of what I need to achieve in life next?
- Am I giving time to my family, my friends? or is it that I have much more work to do…so I cant give time for them
- What do I want from life? From me?
- Overall, am I living a good life? (in your career, your personal life, your social life)
These are few questions that come to my mind.It is very important that we answer these (and may be some more) questions as part of our Self-Appraisal. A company conducts an appraisal, to see your performance in the work…But you should conduct an appraisal/review to see your performance in work, in your life, your career plans, your goals/targets etc…
It will definitely give you an Idea about where do you stand right now…and where do you have to go… 🙂